Bariatric surgery includes various gastrointestinal (GI) procedures were originally designed to induce weight loss in obese patients. It was realised that the benefits of surgery, however, extend well beyond weight loss alone and include dramatic improvement of other comorbidities, namely type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and dyslipidaemia. This ultimately leads to a reduction of overall mortality in these individuals.
Certain bariatric procedures show an anti-diabetes effects through physiological mechanisms secondary to changes in the anatomy of the gastrointestinal tract. With this in mind, the recognition of these benefits and resultant changes in physiological mechanisms formed the basis of metabolic surgery which is a new model that goes beyond the simple weight loss encompassed by bariatric surgery.
Dr Sofianos is an Internationally-Accredited Bariatric Surgeon with over 20 years of experience in General and Laparoscopic Surgery.
A Bariatric or Metabolic Surgeon
- Is a Specialist General Surgeon
- Has extensive post-residency training in Laparoscopy and specifically Bariatric Surgery
- Remains up-to-date with the latest evidence and bariatric procedures available
- Practices holistically with a broad understanding of obesity and within a multi-disciplinary team
- Is available for both elective and emergency surgical care of Bariatric patients