Bariatric Procedures

Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG)

There are many ways to prevent obesity, a balanced diet and regular activity among them, and various methods of treating it. Weight loss routines are among the latter. The Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG) procedure is one possible choice for obese persons who are morbidly obese and suffer from significant comorbidities.


The LSG procedure is a surgical routine involving several small incisions in the upper area of the abdomen. The surgical element involves laparoscopy. This is surgery using a laparoscope – a small instrument with a light on the end that allows the surgeon to see inside the abdomen.


During the LSG procedure the surgeon will remove around 80% of the patient’s stomach. This leaves a sleeve-like stomach of 20% normal size. The patient is then restricted as to the amount they can eat. The procedure also prompts changes to the hormones in the body which are known to aid weight loss.

Before the Sleeve Gastrectomy

The patient will need to be assessed by members of the Bariatric Team. A Gastroscopy is performed by Dr Sofianos as a screening procedure prior to the LSG. Only once approval has been obtained from all team members, and the gastroscopy is normal, is a date for the LSG scheduled. Patients are instructed to undertake a physical exercise routine for a few weeks and refrain from using tobacco. They will also be asked to limit the food they can eat and stop certain medications. This will be all be discussed at your consultation with the various team members.

Candidates for the Sleeve Gastrectomy

To be a candidate, the patient

  • Must have a BMI of greater than 35.
  • Must have medical conditions that are a result of obesity such as type-2 diabetes, high blood pressure or severe sleep apnea.
  • Be willing to commit to lifestyle changes that result in healthier living.
  • Be willing to commit to regular medical monitoring of diet, lifestyle, and behaviour.

After the Gastric Sleeve

Recovery for each patient is different, and the patient can expect to remain in hospital for at least one night and perhaps two. Once discharged the patient will be permitted only liquid food for the first week. The tree weeks following will require pureed food. After four weeks, normal food can again be part of the diet.

Sleeve Gastrectomy Procedure

The LSG procedure is usually performed using laparoscopy which is a ‘keyhole’ technique involving small incisions.

The patient will undergo a general anaesthetic for this procedure.

The surgeon creates the stomach sleeve by stapling parts of the stomach and removing others.

The procedure will take between around two hours depending on various factors associated with the individual.

Sleeve Gastrectomy Video

Obesity Unit South Africa